Started by Frances
Brett, Joan Cottrell, Susan Daniel, ‘Tricia Dann, Carolyn Reed, Jeanne Russell and Linda Walton in March 2007. After advertising in and around Uckfield for singers to form a new community choir,
45 people came along to our very first rehearsal on Monday 5th March 2007. By the end of our first term we had 75 members, men and women of all abilities. At the time of writing we have had to
cap membership at 90 due to rehearsal space. Just four months later we held our first concert at the Civic Centre in July 2007. We had an audience of 260 and had to turn many more away. The
Mayor and Councillors came along too and the evening was a terrific success. This has been repeated every July and forms our annual Summer Showcase concert.
For a summary of past
committee members holding offices, please scroll to the end of the page.
Over the years we have held fundraising concerts in aid of many local charities. Below is a brief history of our activities.
- Saturday 21st July,We
performed our last Summer Concert with our Musical Director, Tina Gilnere, to a packed hall.
Our raffle raised £490 for the Headway East Sussex charity, who
provide help and support for people with brain injuries.
Tina will be pursuing her operatic career and we are extremely sorry
to see her go and will miss her enthusiasm, humour and musical expertise.
- Saturday 4th March 2017 Our 10th Birthday Party was attended by 90 choir members, partners, guests, and
- Saturday 8th July 2017 The Uckfield Singers travelled to Eltham in South-East London to take part in a very successful concert hosted
by the Greenwich Community Choir.
- Saturday 22nd July 2017, Our Summer Concert raised £425.25 for Chestnut Tree House Children's
- Monday 24th July 2017, we gave Sue Daniels gifts and a bespoke card as a Thank you for her 8 years as
Chairman of the Choir as she stood down from the post. She was also granted the post of Honorary President of the Choir.
- Saturday 9th December 2017, the Uckfield Singers gave their
11th annual Christmas Concert with Buxted Symphony Orchestra as guests. The Raffle raised £375 for Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service
- Saturday 12th March 2016 Quiz Night raised £146 for Uckfield & Heathfield MS Group
- Saturday 23rd July 2016 Our 10th Summer Concert raised £380 to be split between two local charities, the Blind &
Partially Sighted Group and the Housebound and Friendship Club.
- The Uckfield Singers held another sell-out concert on 3rd December 2016. We raised a grand total of £462.80 for the
Sussex Air Ambulance.
- Saturday 4th July 2015 Our 9th Summer Concert 'Midsummer Magic' raised £356 for our new community project, 'Sing with
Us' - small groups of volunteers will visit care homes and community groups in Uckfield and it's surrounding villages to lead 'singalongs' of familiar music. The concert was a
- Monday 6th July - Tom Askaroff of CMP Studios, Eastbourne came along to the Belmont Centre to record our concert
songs. For more information on recording a cd go to www.cmpstudios.co.uk
- July 2015 We say a fond farewell to our Musical Director Wendy Wassels.
- September 2015 We welcome Tina Gelnere as our new Musical Director.
- Friday 4th December 2015 Late Night Shopping, singing around Santa's sleigh in Olive's Yard.
- Saturday 5th December 2015 Singing on Uckfield FM stage in High Street (recorded by Uckfield FM).
- Saturday 5th December 2015 Entertaining the folks at the Uckfield Lions Christmas Party in Nutley Village
- We performed at a fundraising concert in Heathfield in March 2014 organised by Heathfield & Waldron Rotary. A
cheque for £1,000 was presented to a representative of Macmillan Nurses. The money will be used to build a Macmillan unit at the Cancer
Unit in Brighton.
- The Summer Concert 2014 'Sounds of Summer' raised £573.49 for Chailey Heritage.
- Film Premiere of 'Voices of Jubilation' Birley Centre, Eastbourne. A lottery funded project history project by Sound Architect. The
choir sang 'Sussex by the Sea' for the soundtrack. The film will be held for posterity by the Mass Observation Unit at The Keep for others to access long into the future.
- Sang at the Fire Station Charity Day 20th Sept 2014.
- Sang carols at Raystede Animal Refuge Christmas fayre.
- Christmas concert 20th Dec 2014 at Civic Centre - 2 performances - raising £300+ each for THE ROCKINGHORSE APPEAL & UCKFIELD
- Summer concert 2013 raised £613 for Macmillan Cancer Support.
- Took part in Uckfield's Most Talented show organised by Uckfield Lions and Uckfield FM.
- Free concert at Holy Cross church 5 Oct 2013 with invited French choir Au Cours De L'Iton raised
over £300 church funds. We will be returning to France in May.
- A Christmas concert was held on Sunday 15 December 2013 with Uckfield Concert Brass at Civic Centre raised £885
for Sussex Cancer Fund for Treatment & Research. The concert was broadcast live by Uckfield FM. Big thankyou to sponsors: Fuller & Scott; Hands on History;
Parker Building Supplies.
for Britain's Got Talent;
We held our 5th
anniversary birthday party with 120 members and guests;
We shared a concert
in London with the Greenwich Community Choir;
We sang patriotic
songs at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations in Uckfield; raised £564 for the Housebound Club in Uckfield at our 6th Summer Concert at the Civic Centre - a complete
We took part
in The Bandstand Marathon in Uckfield 9.9.2012 to mark the closing of the Paralympics. £300 raised for our nominated charity - Demelza Hospice Care for Children.
Buxted Park Hotel
carol singing raised £100 for young carers 'Care for Carers' charity.
The hugely successful
sell-out Christmas concert with Uckfield Concert Brass helped raised£783.57 for HELP FOR HEROES.
Sue Burton 2007-2010
Wendy Wasels 2010-2015
Tina Gelnere 2015-1018
Monica Das 2018-
Tricia Dann 2007-2009
Sue Daniel 2009-2017 [Honorary President]
Nick Poole 2017-
Sue Daniel 2007-2009
Frances Brett 2009-2013
Elaine Morris 2014-2016
Julie Murray 2016-
Elaine Morris 2010-2014
Joan Richards 2014-